I make my own almond milk/mylk because then I know what has gone into it and I can omit the sugar and preservatives, plus I have just invested in a Vitamix, so I should make the most of it!
Then I had an idea…
Add Raw Cacao Beans and make healthy raw vegan chocolate almond milk! And by using the whole cacao bean instead of cacao powder (has the good fats removed), it turned out deliciously thick and creamy.
It is really easy to make, works out cheaper than buying it, plus you don’t have all the packaging rubbish that goes with it. It should keep in the fridge in a large jar for a week or more (that is if it doesn’t get used up before then!)
You will need a blender and a strainer or nut mylk bag.
- filtered water (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cacao beans (or raw cacao nibs or our drinking cacao)
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 Tblspn honey or sweetener (optional)
- Add everything to the blender and blend until well blended.
- Strain or squeeze through a nut mylk bag. The strainer I used had quite a fine mesh so it took a while, but there was very little grainy bits in the finished product. It needed a bit of encouragement with a spoon to get it through the mesh.
Even the kids will love this!